More Info | Buy Blueair 450E Air Purifiers
Why do I need an air purifier ?
Indoor air pollution is recognised as one of the top five environmental risks to public health. In Australia, the CSIRO estimates it could cost us approximately $12 billion a year in health costs and lost production. This figure is only estimated because there's little data available so far on the level of pollutants in Australian homes and the number of people affected.
Studies so far have established that some air pollutants are more highly concentrated indoors than outdoors, particularly in new and newly renovated buildings, mobile homes, houses heated with unflued gas appliances, and in households where people smoke.
Australians may spend 90% or more of our time indoors, where air pollution levels can be worse than outdoors.
Symptoms can be mild and non-specific such as headaches, tiredness or lethargy; similar to colds and flu such as irritated eyes, nose or throat; or more severe such as aggravation of asthma or allergic responses. People who are generally more sensitive to air pollutants include newborns and young children, elderly people, heart patients, people with bronchitis, asthma, hay fever or emphysema, and smokers.
Dust mites, pets and pollen
Of most concern in the Australian context are house dust mites, given our high asthma rates. But other animal allergens (from cats, dogs, birds or even cockroaches) can also spell problems for some people.
The allergens are usually contained in the animal's droppings, saliva or dander (tiny skin scales) and can become airborne when small particles dry and fall off. In people sensitive to them, inhaling these allergens can trigger a reaction in the lungs (asthma), nose (hay fever or allergic rhinitis) or skin (dermatitis or eczema).
And on warm days, when you leave doors and windows open, the small airborne pollen grains most grasses, trees and shrubs release can cause similar reactions in people sensitive to these allergens.
Moulds and fungi
These are fine, often invisible filaments whose spores become airborne and can be inhaled. Damp areas in the house (such as bathrooms, cellars and poorly ventilated rooms) are particularly susceptible to mould and fungal growth, as are water-damaged carpets and building materials. Unflued gas or kerosene heaters can also contribute to mould problems because of the water vapour they release.
In people sensitive to mould spores, inhaling them can cause various allergic reactions. Mould can also produce poisons known as mycotoxins which, when absorbed, can sometimes affect the nervous system. Some fungi can also infect various parts of the body, particularly the lungs and skin.
Our range of Blueair air purifiers eliminate these pollutants leaving the air clean and fresh, they range from the smaller 201 covering 20 sqm to the 601 covering 63 sqm.
More information on indoor air quality